FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Indian SIM card
Thread: Indian SIM card
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:54 am
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by msntriathlete
OK I'm normally not this tech-illiterate, but can someone explain how this whole sim-card thing works? I was planning on bringing my iPhone with the appropriate AT&T international plan, like I do for Europe. Bad idea?
if you use your iphone with the at&t international plan then you will be paying for international roaming which will be quite expensive....my friend used the same international plan when he was in india earlier this year....when he went back home his international roaming bill was over $1,000....

What is iPhone coverage like in India? I'll be in Delhi, Agra, Chennai, Cochi and Kerala backwaters (I don't expect coverage there).
iphone coverage in india is the same as it is with any other phone....in other words it is quite good....i use an iphone & i get great coverage in dehi, agra, chennai, cochi & even in the kerela backwaters area....

What's the deal with the sim card vs using my regular iPhone (+ Skype when I can)?
if you buy a sim card here you will not be able to use it with your iphone unless it is unlocked....my suggestion would be to switch the roaming data off on your iphone & use it for emergencies....when in india just buy a cheap phone (around $40) & get a pre-paid sim card....you will only be able to use skype when you are in a wi-fi area, & normally you would have to pay for wi-fi access so it defeats the purpose of a free skype call....