FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:43 am
Eliza

Programs: AA Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by gemac
Note that you will not have to bring an entire meal, as there will be things served that clearly do not contain gluten = fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, nuts are good possibilities. You will only have to reject a portion of what is served. An apple is a good meal supplement. AA serves enough food on most flights that you may not even feel the need for any of your own food.

Use FEBO for seat selection to make sure you get your choice of meal in case something like pasta is on the menu. If a FEBO-advantaged seat is not available, check the menus when they hand them out to see if one meal is a big problem, if so, advise the FA of your situation before they start taking orders and they will likely keep one of the meal you can eat for you.
I'm not sure if accepting parts of the meal, without having an ingredient list, is a practical solution. I can eat fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, and nuts, etc., if they were clearly kept separate from anything I can't eat. But because of the strictness of the doctor's orders, I can't, for example, eat a meat with a sauce on it, unless I know exactly what was in the sauce. (Even scraping off the sauce won't help, because even a little bit is enough to cause problems.) I can have a salad if I know there were never croutons in it, etc. Knowing the ingredients is key.

Anyway, it looks like I should bring enough to eat for the day and be happy if it happens that there's anything I can eat.