FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MH is for Malaysian Hospitality: KUL-IST on 777 (Business Class)
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:55 pm
fly747first
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by blueline7
Exceptionally well written trip report. Many thanks! I particularly appreciate how you demonstrated how MH's tragic choice of the cheaper "lie-flat" seat was the first slip down the slippery slope for this airline...
Although, if you go by airline history, that's not really true. For nearly a decade, SQ managed to stay on top with the Spacebed lie-flat J seats at a time when rivals (e.g. BA) were already offering a true 180-degree flat bed in Business Class. The reason was clear: SQ was superior in every other category and people preferred SQ's outstanding service over BA's. My point being, you don't necessarily need to have the fanciest seat to be the best. Look at EK today... its current J hard product leaves much to be desired and the airline continues to report huge profits even when the economy of Dubai is unstable. Meanwhile, there is no doubt that EK has the most luxurious F suites in the world. And of course, how many airlines out there provide complimentary hotel rooms to passengers (even those ticketed in economy class) on long layovers?

Something else worth considering is that of the six 5-star airlines in the world, only CX and SQ offer a 1x2x1 configuration in Business Class; all others still feature 2x2x2 or 2x3x2 configuration and most are lie-flat, not 180-degree flat.

However, I do agree that to remain competitive, MH must work on fixing the rough edges. As I mentioned on another post, what I'm truly appalled by is the fact that the current 777 J seats have sufficient pitch to lie entirely flat, yet MH has not bothered to modify these seats, which is something that shouldn't be difficult at all. More importantly, the inappropriate behavior of the lounge staff that the OP describes is simply unacceptable and being a 5-star airline, MH must pay closer attention to its front-line employees.