FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:59 pm
3544quebec

Well you were half right!

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Your best chance is never to book the room on spg.com first. Submit your claim(s), and only book once it's accepted. Though in this case, I don't think you have a very good chance with either one.
Thanks for the response. I claimed for 2 single night stays 4 nights apart. The claims were processed by different agents.

1st response

Dear 3544quebec

Thanks for sending in your Best Rate Guarantee claim.

The confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same. Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel.

Guest Name: 3544quebec
Arrival Date: 11 August 2010
Departure Date: 12 August 2010
Room Type: Classic with breakfast
Actual confirmed rate: $118.09 USD plus taxes
Claim reference number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Please allow up to 14 days after date of departure to for the 2,000 Starpoints to be credited to your account.

2nd response

Dear3544quebec,

As the competing rate that you have provided includes buffet breakfast, it is considered a package rate and as a result I am not able to approve this claim for you.

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates that include additional services or amenities that are not provided by the hotel. These rates, called packaged rates, include extras that are paid for by a third-party, in this case loyalty.octopustravel.co.uk. Common examples of packaged rates are those that include breakfast or parking.

The inconsistencies of this program are ridiculous. I like the wording of the 2nd rejection that says that the breakfast is not provided by the hotel - obviously someone from the competing website (UK based) will be coming to serve me my breakfast at the Sheraton Sao Paulo.

Hopefully the 1st agent will not be re-educated so that rather than applying the spirit of the law she will in future follow the 2nd agent in applying the letter of the law.

The night's stay for the 2nd night will now be at the Golden Tulip Belas Artes rather than the Sheraton Sao Paulo

Last edited by 3544quebec; Aug 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm