FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Road trip...zoos (and aquariums?)
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:35 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Road trip...zoos (and aquariums?)

We do zoos all over the world. Live in Escondido to be near San Diego Wild Animal Park (WAP) and SD Zoo (members). Also members of the Sequoia Zoo (for Friends of the Zoo, FOTZ, benefits).

Will be driving to Las Vegas in late September/Early October for a couple free nights at the Luxor, won on our last visit. It is my wife's birthday, and we are taking the long way home to celebrate (note this is not everyone's idea of a great trip!).

Anyone have any comments on the following "zoos" (note I have gone to the websites for each). Also interested in any additional zoos we should consider (on our route, even if not a FOTZ member). Saw a post recommending wineries in the San Ynez area (we will do that too). Dining is not a big deal with us, and we are likely to stay at modest hotels (to get points) and/or with our points with perhaps one or two exceptions.

In Las Vegas there are two "zoos" not part of a hotel, the LV Zoo and the Springs Preserve. We have been to both. The former was really depressing and the latter we will not return to until the Nevada State Museum is completed in 2011 (on the same site).

Coming home we will be taking 15 to 58 across to 99 and head North on 99 to Fresno Chaffee Zoo. Then on to Micke Grove Zoo in Lodi. Next is the Sacramento Zoo. Then the Oakland zoo. Then the SF Aquarium of the Bay. Then the SF Zoo (not FOTZ). Next would be the Coyote Point Museum in San Mateo, except it is out of the way for our visiting some friends, and appears to be quite aligned with children. Visiting friends in Montara and then in Cambria. Next zoo in Charles Paddock Zoo in Atascadero (we have been here before, but like the neighborhood caring look of the place, and therefore what to help support it). Next is some winery visits and a trip to the Santa Barbara Zoo. The final zoo visit is the LA Zoo, a disappointment in the past, but hopefully it is better cared for now? I know I have passed some modest and famous aquariums (been to them, done that) and also the Santa Ana Zoo, which we recently visited.

Our trip is just taking shape, and will last between 2 and 4 week, depending on what we add, or subtract.