FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:58 pm
OlderGeek

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
Noobie here...followed the directions from the OP while looking for a JFK-CDG flight in November. Successfully found 100k J flights on dates that work, all stopping in Madrid.

Upon thinking about it, I said well why not just do a Madrid flight (this is leisure for me and the girlfriend so we're looking at multiple options). When I priced out the direct JFK-MAD flight on same day as originally priced JFK-MAD-CDG flight, it's only listed at 90k and not showing J.

How would I go about getting the JFK-MAD trip for 100k J?
It think I have finally learned to use the system for International travel. You need to be a PM or DM to do it. The proof is that this weekend my wife and I are going to Barcelona from JFK, non stop, in Business for 100,000 miles each round trip - the low level.

First, you try to book for your first choice tickets in coach - just as this thread and others have said. Say that you are flexible. You may get lucky on your dates or near them - searching the options in Business for L-M-H.. If you get something, and then get the dreaded "the flight is no longer available" message, do it again, and get back to the screen. Call Delta. An agent will often force the system to give that deal to you.

Second, book something in the lowest available award category. If getting more than one ticket, do one at a time. You may find you get one for cheaper than the other. Put each on their own record.

Third, keep checking. Award prices go up and down.

In my case, I started at 100k for mine and 200k for my wife. Then I was able to get that to 100 and 150k. This week, 100 and 100k. Prices at one point were as high as 275k.

It appears the Delta prices the tickets up and down just like they do in the market. If there is a fare reduction in $, they lower the award category.

Also, remember to check before you come home. If you see a lower award before you return, Delta will let you switch to it.