FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Only have a 50 Minute Layover in Hong Kong between flights. Is that sufficient time?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:03 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
David, I'm going to take the minority position, and say that it's very tight. I connect at HKG regularly, like other posters here. I think that you have two potential problem areas, connection security and bags.

Connection security can have long lines just to get inside the screening area. Tell one of the CX agents greeting the flight that you have a tight connection, and they will often take you to security and jump you to the front of the line. Actually, they already know abut your connection (and you may not be the only one) and they may have someone with a sign for LAX pax meeting the flight. Otherwise, tell the agent checking boarding passes at the security area entrance and you may get the same treatment.

When you get to the LAX gate, check with the desk. Tell them about your tight connection, show them your bag claim check, and ask them to call to check that your bags make the flight. As another poster pointed out, they are, indeed, remarkably efficient at HKG, and will usually try to expedite your bags on request, especially as you are an online (effectively) connecting premium pax.

Finally, while US flights often leave from gates 1-4, it's far from a sure thing, and I've departed for the US from gates in the 60s as often as not. Do check as you deplane before rushing anywhere.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jul 25, 2010 at 5:08 am