FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost Luggage
Thread: Lost Luggage
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:31 am
thewinchester

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Ah, yes...another "should I expect $/points from a travel provider after they've satisfactorily handled a goof-up" post.
Understand your sentiment there, but a harsh assessment of the OP's post and thoughts.

While baggage holding is generally a best efforts/no liability basis, when it does happen it can seriously inconvenience a pax and have negative impacts on a brand. This is where hotels do need to go above and beyond to make up for the inconvenience, but I think cash/points compensation is too much.

They re-accommodated you, arranged & secured return of your luggage, and did their best to ensure you could stay productive while inconvenienced. I think that's pretty good all things considered. The only thing they could have done beyond that is discounted/comp'd the room rate - but I wouldn't go asking for that because I think that would be a little rude, that's something they'd need to offer off their own bat.

If the baggage had not been returned or could not be found, that's when they should give due consideration to some form of compensation. A fair consideration of the inconvenience would have been least enough to get a couple of changes of clothes, some complimentary phone/fax use while you spoke to your travel insurer, but not much else.