FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic F Wine Shortage?
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:45 am
sts603
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Microwave
Just got home from a trip to New York, and would like to poll frequent transcon fliers out there about an oddity for this week's flying. Preface: for flights between Seattle and JFK, F gets catered similar to other transcons, which include a sparkling wine, two whites, and two reds. In my previous transcon flying this year (SEA-JFK, MIA-SFO, MIA-LAX), I had never had any problems getting all I can drink of my chosen wine. Fast forward to Monday.

Outbound on Monday morning on my way to New York, mimosas, bubbly, OJ and water all around for pre departure beverage service, with several choosing the mimosas--then when I asked for a refill during breakfast service, I was told they ran out of bubbly. The FA apologetically told me that they were only catered two bottles (OT: great flight crew on AA268 on 7/19!). OK, no problem--that happens from time to time. Returning this evening, I was in a red kind of mood, so opted for the cab (shiraz is one of the few varietals I really don't like), and two glasses later they are out of that. I ask to swap to the Italian white (previously tried and didn't much care for the chardonnay): lo and behold, the Italian white is gone too. I had a glass of the chardonnay, remembered why I didn't like it, and changed to diet coke.

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in wine availability in F? I would have forgotten about the cava shortage Monday were it not for today--after all, morning flights probably don't need as much wine, plus we were swapped a 763 for our usual 752, so 6 more mouths to feed with what was likely the same catering... But I believe that a relatively (for Seattle) elite-heavy evening flight (I am PLT, and cleared at the gate after F was called for boarding) should probably have been catered with sufficient wine to at least assure me availability for my backup choice--or am I just being too picky?
Nope. But they ran out of water LAS 90 minutes out of Vegas on my last JFK-LAS flight