FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgrade compensation
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:09 am
hmattila

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Downgrade compensation

Hi all,

I was flying with EK on first class from Dubai back to Colombo. When I was checking my flight few days before departure, I noticed been downgraded to business class. I called EK and they told about aircraft change. When I asked about compensation they told me they cannot tell on the phone that but at airport ticketing counter they would inform me. I was expecting a fair compensation (same upgrade on single sector would cost 3000 AED ie. around 800 USD).

Once at airport (2am) I went to ticketing but they told since ticket been sold online from CMB, they cannot tell the difference, I must go to Colombo to ask it. I was getting quite upset at this stage as I think they should have done at least their homeworks and calculate at the time they downgraded me. From past I know as I was having a longer sectors (ticket was CMB-DXB-HKG-DXB-CMB) that if you just downgrade one shorter secter, ticket actually becomes more expensive and dont think its fair for the passanger to dowgrade without compensation.

I sent a long compain to EK, still waiting for reply. At the end I waited for next flight next morning as got so upset and ended up to full first cabin with 10 people upgraded from business to first. Maybe should never book first as seems its easier to get upgrade.

I was not expecting EK to handle the situation so badly. I expect to know the compensation at the time of downgrade, not two weeks before when already taken the flight. Anyone else experienced anything similar?