FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:25 am
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by maracle
I think FourSquare is stupid...
Originally Posted by maracle
I bet shops will figure out how to correlate what you actually purchase with your foursquare profile, a goldmine for marketing!
Nothing stupid about that... sounds brilliant to me!

We're on the cusp of a wave of geo-based services fueled by smartphones with GPS capability and their convergence with other devices. Google Android is going to enhance a lot of it, and players like Foursquare, Topguest, etc. will capitalize.

As recently as a couple years ago, when I traveled, I would pack/carry a digital camera (for pictures and videos, both), an MP3 player, my cellphone, a netbook, and a GPS watch (by Garmin, for running), and a PND for the car (also a Garmin). As the months passed, I began to leave one or more of these at home, allowing, for example, my cellphone to take the place of my MP3 player when I'd run. I'm now at the point where my smartphone can do the functions of *all* of these devices, and sometimes it is the only thing I bring. (Given, I often need the power and convenience of the netbook and PND, which aren't completely replaced by the smartphone because of size and power, so they still make some trips.) Anyway, my point here is that the smartphone is becoming a lot more powerful and popular of a device, and as geo-services are tied to many of the apps, you can expect services like Topguest to increase in popularity - not fade away as a fad.