FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should BA fly the flag in Honolulu?
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyingDentist

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Nice idea but I can't see it happening.
+1.

It would be great to have some kind of decent connection between LHR-[usa mainland]-HNL.

This would be extremely welcome - a LAX flight that carried on to HNL after a few hours... on a 747 or something with nice seats.

As it stands it is an almighty pain in the neck to get from Europe to Honolulu in comfort. Getting to the USA is fine but then you are on a 'domestic' route with standard US domestic aircraft for a 5 hour flight ex-LAX/SFO. Not exactly good after 10-11 hours from LHR. And that's assuming you can connect the same day, which frequently you can't.

To make it worse, going back eastbound is so badly timed as to make it really unbearable. All the flights HNL-[usa] leave in the evening and arrive early morning onto the USA west coast. So no sleep, even in US domestic "first" class. Then you need to wait circa 12 hours to get the connection to Europe. It's a very ugly journey home.

But it's not a business route, so I doubt the revenue is there to make it viable for BA.

I've done it both ways (literally) - LHR-LAX on BA the LAX-HNL on AA, and also LHR-NRT-HNL on ANA. The latter was infinitely better due to better seating on the flight into HNL and also better connections and better lounges in HNL. If one goes HNL-NRT-BKK-LHR it is possible to get home on the "same day" and avoid an overnight in NRT.