FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:04 pm
asnesne

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
In terms of "luxury" treatment, I would guess that the St. Regis will win out over the other two hotels. If the "cost" is the same (i.e. FWN coupons) I would pick the St. Regis over the other two just to experience the hotel.

As for an upgrade, I suspect your chance for one here would be very dependent on when you are staying, how crowded they are, and how long your stay will be. IOW, the less crowded they are and the shorter your stay, the more likely you will get an upgrade.

My kids were a little disappointed when I switched our Christmas stay from the St. Regis to the Excelsior (due to the Cat. drop.) They were hoping for a chance at suite upgrade to a "butler" room at the St. Regis. They were hoping to have their own personal butler waiting on them. (Yes, I know it wouldn't work that way, but in their minds that is what they were thinking.)
+

Thanks a lot for your help!! I will go with the St. Regis, as you said "just to experience it". I haven't been to a St. Regis yet, as there are so few in Europe. Also, if no free breakfast is given, we'll just eat outside. As these FWN are mainly a "Thank you" to my parents and a joint vacation with my girlfriend, I think an impressive hotel beats amenities

Thanks again!