FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand master thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:39 pm
SB_Travlr

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
How is this plan for Nov/Dec trip to NZ?

Hi FlyerTalkers
I'm back for some help planning our Great Adventure. (I've posted previously about taking this trip to celebrate our retirement, and you have given some great advice.) We'll have 24 days total in New Zealand.

I've read lots of guide books, TRs and posts, and we have a good idea of where we want to go. We have eliminated some spots to avoid too much churning round the countryside. We're supposed to enjoy this, not make it a race from Cape Reinga to Bluff!

About us: we love to travel, enjoy beautiful scenery, visit vineyards, drink good wine and eat good food. We like art galleries, history, music, and beaches. Stay at nice-but-not-over-the-top hotels and B&Bs, or self-catering apartments or cottages. We like to walk, not hike -- Mr SB's knees not up to that. We'll rent a car as the most practical way to get around.

The plan so far: fly from Melbourne to Auckland at the end of our Australia trip. Spend one night in Auckland.

- Drive to the far north/Bay of Islands area. Where would be the best place to stay for 3 nights -- Kerikeri, Paihia or Russell? We definitely want to do flightseeing trip to Cape Reinga, and probably sailing in Bay of Islands.

- Drive to Rotorua for a couple of nights to experience Maori history and culture, then drive to Wellington for 2 nights.

- Take ferry to Picton, and stay 3 nights in Nelson area -- do a winery tour and water taxi or trip to Abel Tasman. Is Nelson a good central spot to locate for the north coast area of SI?

- Drive to Christchurch for 3 nights -- visit Akaroa, do TranzAlpine trip over Arthur's Pass. Maybe we can work in a sheep station stay here?

- Drive to Dunedin/Otago peninsula area for 2-3 nights. Must see albatross!

- Final driving spurt through the Catlins to Te Anau, and visit the fjords. I think we 'd like to see both Doubtful and Milford sounds -- maybe do the overnight cruise on one or the other? That is still TBD.

Lastly, drive to Queenstown for a flight back to Auckland, then the next day fly back to the US (LAX). Phew!

So -- are we crazy? I know it's a busy schedule, but it does take in the places we most want to see. It may be our only chance, after all.

Your thoughts/alerts/advice are all appreciated. (FYI: I've also gotten good suggestions from Fodors, if this question is sounding familiar!)