FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Tent as Carry-on" Question
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:19 pm
SATTSO

Originally Posted by Kanis91
I started to have a feeling this would be a very are question to get answered. Do any of the forum TSO (i.e. SATTSO) have any input?
It sort of depends on the tent, to be honest. Of course, no yard spikes. But how large is the tent, how many poles, how thick are the poles, etc. Though I haven't camped in years I have 2 tents - a larger family sized tent and a smaller personal pop-up tent. I know that the larger would not be allowed through the checkpoint, but a smaller one most likely would be.

Another poster suggested a good idea, which I see people do often. Arrive a bit early and prepare to check-in the tent. Goto the checkpoint and ask to speak to a checkpoint STSO. Be preparred to show the tent - they will want to see the poles of the tent. The poles fall under club-like objects, perhaps.

As pointed out there is no policy that specifically deals with tents, perhaps because tents can vary so much, I would guess. All I can say is that I and others have allowed smaller tents (no spikes ) yet not larger ones. Know this doesn't help you much, sorry.