FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are Delta's SkyMiles called SkyPesos?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:42 pm
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gleff
You're really going to stake your argument on how 'limited' the domestic route networks of American Airlines and US Airways are?
No, it's simply one factor in the equation, as I previously outlined.

And if they don't need the credit card to boost status, then even in your relatively limited case of someone who only wants to redeem within the 48 contiguous United States (and that is a VERY limiting case, and even there your quote above concedes you aren't saying Delta is best) I'd argue such a person should probably use a cash back card and use the cash to buy those domestic tickets if they wish. If the tickets are for themselves, as a Dimaond they'll be upgraded most of the time. And regardless of who they're for they won't have to fight for inventory at the low level.
Yes, it is limiting, but as I detail below, I believe it applies to the vast majority of Delta's customer base.

You're correct in pointing out that I'm not necessarily saying Delta is tops with domestic availability; I am saying that overall, in that arena, they are right in the mix with their peers and certainly not issuing miles of lesser value. I am, however, saying they are tops in terms of mile acquisition opportunities (supply side).

As for promos I will gladly take 4750 US Airways miles over even twice as many Delta miles on a car rental, but that's because I think of my miles as more than a minor cashback currency to be used to take me in coach to Florida at the holidays. I leverage the miles and points for the sorts of aspirational awards that I couldn't or wouldn't pay cash for. For the kinds of things that have really enriched my life, seeing places and things I wouldn't otherwise have seen and experiencing cultures I wasn't already familiar with -- and doing it all in a modicum of comfort otherwise-unsupported by my modest income.
That makes perfect sense for you, and anyone who knows how to and is interested in leveraging them for the "high value redemptions" you cited earlier. If you're looking for a premium cabin award trip to/around Europe/Asia with your wife, you'd be silly to look to DL over US. I've taken such trips, and when I do, I'm right with you on the superior value of US miles for that type of redemption. There are a lot of people in this category, but again, my point is that it is misleading to claim that Skymiles *overall* are not worth as much as other airline miles. Such declarations must be placed in the context of the user's "flying universe and needs", first. In your world of usage patterns, DL miles are worth much less to you. Fair enough. There are many of us, however, who fly primarily within the 48 contiguous states. Maybe, we're rare on FT, maybe you deem us fools, but the vast majority of Delta's customers and revenue fit this mold. In my case, I have dozens of people I *need* to shuttle around the states, and I'm either going to pay for them or redeem miles for them... it has to be one or the other. 7600 DL miles will save me a lot more after-tax dollars than 4650 US miles or lesser quantities of AA/CO/etc, so I choose them when renting a car. Similar story with card spending and many (but certainly not all) other earning opportunities.