FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can they make me pay the LDW in Mtl?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:58 pm
Tuneman1984

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by thefareguru
Well, I wasn't asked or hammered to pay the LDW in either Montreal with Thrifty or in Charlottetown with Hertz.

But the advice given here showed me how to prepare [forewarned is forearmed] to make sure as to how I indeed was covered. For those of you in BC, I have had no accidents for >20 years and therefore was able to use Rodestar from ICBC.

By the way, I found the Montreal driving pattern similar to ours in Vancouver and had no problems, either in Montreal or Quebec City, or on the highways between.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
Seems I missed this thread and the fact that you're a fellow British Columbian...

ICBC does cover you a few different ways:

1. RoadStar Package - Available to anyone with a 9-year claims-free discount, costs about $40/year
2. Roadside Plus - Available to anyone with collision coverage, costs around $78/year
3. Rental Vehicle Policy - Available to anyone with a B.C. Driver's License, costs $10/calendar day (minimum charge $20)

The Roadside Plus option offers $2 million liability, whereas buying an RVP or getting RoadStar only offers $1 million. They all include collision and comprehensive coverage with a $300 deductible. Any claims made against this rental coverage will not affect your rates.

If you rent from Thrifty in Canada with this coverage, you may be offered Protection Plus. Protection Plus is essential the bundling of Personal Accident Insurance and Personal Effects Coverage, but it also includes payment of your deductible in the event of a claim. It usually runs $7.99/day and I take it when offered. You get the LDW benefit of not having to pay a cent for any damage without having to shell out $25-30/day.