FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: Flightstats.com CAN NOT BE TRUSTED
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:52 am
panamamike

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is entirely possible that the airline posted the flight as canceled at one point and then reinstated it. That would probably be enough for the monitoring sites to issue the canceled notification. The website aren't making up the data themselves; they get it from 3rd party feeds and then they display it in a "pretty" way to the customer. Should you put full faith in information provided by a 3rd party source? I know I never would. Choosing to get alerts from the 3rd party rather than the aircraft operator exposes you to the chance that they'll be wrong.
I used flightstat about a year ago with good success. More recently, I used it to track status of my delayed flights and yesterday for when I arrived earlier than normal for a flight.

Turns out flightstats let me down in both cases. It didn't keep info. up to the minute, such as details on flight time/gate changes. I figured maybe the system was slow, but flightstat was wrong all the way up until boarding time. I knew by looking at the airport boards before flightstat had the info.

Could it be the airline system is purposefully slowing down availability of flight info. on the internet? Or is this a site specific problem? If so, what are the alternatives?

I need a WAP or mobile solution.

Mike