FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I am missing opportunities and now am ready to assimilate...
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:05 pm
wbl-mn-flyer

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by gatorray
I have been on this site for a while and when I read the posts about the hoops people will go through for points. The dollar coins opportunity, for example, was cool, but seemed like too much work for me. I am slowly realizing that I am missing out on points/miles at every turn, even though I consider myself a moderately knowledgeable traveler. Here's my pattern:

I fly weekly (Sun-Thu) to (normally) one city for about 8 months - 1 year. I fly out of MCO, so I am not captive to one airline. I have/have had elite status in many of those (I am currently flying Delta). My company has an AmEx travel website for us to use, but it is not mandatory. I usually book my own car and hotel through Hilton/Avis/Marriott/etc... If I book my own airfare, I will not be reimbursed until the flight is complete. If I book through AmEx, the fare is put on the company card. Pretty standard stuff.

Now, my question is, how should I start to change my pattern so that I can maximize my points/miles. Example, link through rebate sites for the car and hotel? I can afford to float my airfare on my own credit card and I have the Delta Platinum, so is it worth it to take on the added responsibility to carry the fare on my own dime until reimbursed while paying for the airfare on my Delta card?

I truly want to be like you guys, but I need some basics to get started. Thank you.

How quick do you get expenses turned around, and do you have sufficient money to carry expenses if they may be reimbursed after the credit card bill is due?

I would recommend putting everything you can on the Delta Plat Amex, until you've reached a $50,000 spend to earn the 10,000+10,000 MQM towards status.

After that, use whatever card suits your fancy - the Delta Plat Amex, a Hilton Surpass card, a Cashback card of some sort, etc.

Interest rates for money market and savings accounts are in the toilet right now so even if you have to dip into your own money for 10-20 days to pay expense related charges, you're still likely to come way ahead by paying the airplane tickets or other charges on your own points/money earning cards rather than use that corp card.