FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - mileage in divorce court -- I won!
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:01 am
ckpeter

Originally Posted by Flo's Restaurant
No, the property is divided 50/50 on a balance sheet. Add up the total value and divide in half. That's each party's share, in dollars. I subtract from that everything I posess (including 40 nickels worth of FF miles), and she subtracts whatever she posesses (e.g., furniture), and whoever goes below zero owes the other person that much money so the end is exactly 50/50, nothing left over.
OK, I am still somewhat confused, but it sounds like you didn't win; you lost.

If you are doing a balance sheet approach and only settling at the end of the calculation, then you have taken your 100K miles, valued it at $2, and count it as your "contribution" to the balance sheet.

To use another example, suppose you took your $1000 (market price) car, and claim it on the settlement balance sheet as worth only $2. Instead of reducing your liability to your ex-wife by $1000, you only reduced it by $2. You lost $998.

This has nothing to do with 50/50 division. You are using your personal asset as reduction in liability. By under-valuing your miles, you are under-valuing what you are contributing to the balance sheet.

Assuming my understanding is correct, it sounds like your ex-wife may soon be posting a thread titled "mileage in divorce court -- I am the one who really won!" (sorry, I mean, my condolences )