FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3000 bonus miles for 3-day rental with Avis until 2/28/2013 (updated)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:35 am
Evan!

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by tashworth
I'm picking up at SNA Monday at 9:30am, returning LAX Wednesday around 8:30am--just short of 48 hours, but over the course of 3 days--will this qualify for the 3k?
"just short of 48 hours" will count as a 2-day rental. Avis, like most car rental companies, do not look at the calendar but rather the clock. This is actually a good thing not a bad thing. Unless of course you want to eat your cake and have it too. If Avis considered your rental as 3 days and charged you 3 days then those who don't care about a 3K bonus would be justified in calling foul for being charged 3 days when they rented only 2.

The best way to determine if you qualify for an x-day promo is to look at how many days you are being charged. From the sounds of it you will be charged for two days.

Might I suggest alternatives to the Avis 3K promo? I only offer these because if you don't qualify and your DM# is in the reservation you will pay $1.50 (ff surcharge) for 100 miles, 150 total with the US summer blockbuster promotion (USSBB) ... OUCH.

UA/Avis earn 250 bonus miles on a 2-3 day rental until Dec 31. At least with this promo you will earn a total of 350 miles for $1.50 - not great but not as bad as 150 miles. With the current 50% summer blockbuster promo with US the total will end up being 525 miles. Caution: I don't know if SNA is a "participating location". You can get the same deal with AS miles as well.

US/Thrifty earn triple miles when renting a compact or larger for 2 days or longer through Dec 31. Your surcharge will be $1.80 for 300 miles - 450 miles if you consider the USSBB promo.