FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAN ANTONIO HR vs GH
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:06 pm
Driving by DCA

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by derby44
It seems that the older Hyatt is directly on the Riverwalk and the Grand Hyatt not so close. Safety is my main concern--I will be alone (older/small build) and am wondering how safe the walk to and from the Grand Hyatt at all hours of the night would be. The GH is newer and has a nice RC. The price difference isn't great--please give me your thoughts and help me make a decision. Thanks very much for your feedback.
Both hotels are accessible from the Riverwalk. The older Regency is closer to the action while the Grand is down a ways toward the convention center.

Safety shouldn't be an issue at either but if you are the type to stay out late at night, the walk back to the Grand from the bars is fairly long and could be a little lonely once the convention area settles down. Not a big deal for me as a younger male, but I could see it troubling a woman travelling alone.

If you'll be back at the hotel by a sensible hour, it shouldn't be a problem.

Now an unsolicited opinion...I think the Grand is a bit of a sterile and boring convention hotel. The Regency is definitely on the older side, but I think it has more character and is more in touch with downtown San Antonio.