FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at DFW
Thread: Cars at DFW
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:57 pm
Alysia

Originally Posted by peteropny

Just a word of warning for people renting cars here - many (most?) freeways in the area are toll (and quite expensive) also supposedly some of the newer freeways are those that don't accept cash but only use those electronic transponder that you can get when you checkout the car - not sure what the cost is or how they bill you for the tolls since I didn't get one because where I was going I could get there with cash tolls (in about 150 miles - I must have spent close to $15 in tolls).
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I believe National rents a transponder for around $3/day plus tolls. If you do not have one, the 2 toll roads closest to the airport 121 to Frisco and the GB turnpike to Garland are cash-free. If you don't have a transponder, they take a picture of the license plate and send the bill to National, which then sends it to a collection agency, which then charges you around $20 plus the tolls about 2 months after you incurred them.
The transponder is $2/day plus tolls. They don't actually give you a transponder...it is tied in with your rental car's license plate somehow. I'm currently in DFW with a Prius (and opted for the transponder option) from National for the weekend.