FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SYDNEY what to see & do?
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:44 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CDF
Thanks for the information! I'll try to find some of the walks you mentioned in Sydney (I did a pub walk in London) and I always find the guides to be interesting. A couple of things I'm considering:
  1. Ferry to Manly - Split Bridge Scenic Walkway
  2. Ferry to Taronga - Taronga Zoo
  3. Bondi Explorer - Hop on/off to Bondi Beach
  4. Sydney Explorer - Just to check things in Sydney
  5. Train to Katoomba - Maybe a day trip
  6. Ferry to Cockatoo Island - Just for the view
  7. Harbour Bridge Climb - Is it worth the price?
  8. Ferry to Olympic Park

Is there anything in the above list that you wouldn't do or that would be a waste of my limited time? As much as I'd like to include a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, I'm not sure if I can fit the expense in for this trip since I'd probably have to fly. I was looking at getting a 5-day Sydney pass which would allow me to ride the ferry, buses, rail, airport link and both the Bondi and Sydney Explorer. Would this be worth the price (@$132)? It doesn't look like it would cover the train ride to Katoomba based on the rail map that I saw. As always, any feedback is appreciated.
I'd avoid the two Explorer buses. They are really not worth the money paid. Everything they do can be done with existing public transport infrastructure and a bit of walking. Also the new ticketing system makes it Explorers even worse value IMO.

The ferry ride to Olympic Park is the highlight of the trip to Olympic Park. There is really not much once you get there.

I second Leumas' suggestion about staying the night in the BM if you're planning on using public transport, or it will be a very long day.