FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on expat life in Kuala Lumpur
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:01 pm
PhlyingRPh
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by SteffenSt
Hi,

I totally agree to the previous posters. Last year I lived in KL for ~7 Months and also visited Singapore several times.
The whole thing was one of the best experiences in my life.

To chose between Singapore and KL you should ask yourself, how much difference to western lifestyle you want. If you are doubtful, go to singapore. There it is mostely like in all large western cities. If you like it a bit more "different", you should stay in KL. The city itself is a nice mixture between eastern and western lifestyle but if you leave the KL-Area, you are totally in the middle of eastern lifestyle which is a great experience.

About the place to live in KL:
The first priority should be the safety in the area (mostly totally uncritical). The next priority should be the distance and route to the place you have to work. As I was working in cyberjaya (south of KL), I chose a condo in the KL surroundings from which on I was on the highway within 5 minutes. So I had to drive round about 15min every day. If I had a condo in downtown, this could have taken about an hour, because traffic in KL is horrible during rushhour.

So if you need any more informations about living / working in KL feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Steffen
I am in currently in a "hurry up and wait" type situation with this client, but id all goes well should be on the ground in KUL by August 1. I will certainly take you up on your kind offer. ^ Thanks.