FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:59 am
lkar

Originally Posted by david78660
I recently found out that my US Air miles expired. The reason I was given by a US Air Agent was it was due to 3 years on no activity. I was not provided any warning in advance. Does anyone know if I have any recourse?
Unlikely. Unless your claim is that you didn't agree to the terms and conditions when you opened your account. You probably did. If you opened the account before they implemented the forfeiture policy, they likely sent you new terms and conditions to the address on file. I guess you could try claiming you didn't get them.

Depends on how many miles are at issue. Usually, within 18 months after expiration, you can have them reinstated either by paying a fee or doing certain partner activity (like applying for a credit card). Rather than going the "I didn't get notice" route, you might try calling or e-mailing and asking whether they will allow you to reinstate even though you're outside the 18 month window. I think they have lots more discretion to do that than to simply reinstate forfeited miles for free. If you don't have one, tell them you'll apply for the US Air credit card. If it's a small number of miles, they may say yes. If it's lots of miles, you could ask to pay the fee even though it's outside the window. The more miles, the cheaper the fee per mile. For example, if it's 100,000 miles, it's $400, which actually is a pretty good deal. If it's 10k miles, it's about 1 cpm, which is still cheaper than buying them from USAir. They may let you pay the fee, although I wouldn't put the odds at better than 50/50.