FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Come back BA, all is forgiven
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:38 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well, I've never had a problem reading papers in the Servisair lounge at Edinburgh - always had a fairly full set of qualities when I've been in. Perhaps too many people had removed them from the lounge ignoring the big 'Do Not Remove from Lounge' stickers? Sad if so. Yes, it can get crowded - but the ambience is fine. If you want something a bit quieter, the back room is great, and the sweet morning rolls are very, very addictive. I find a better breakfast in there than in the BA lounge as a result (that could be due to the addictive quality of the rolls though - lord knows what's in them!). And where else in the airport can you find a Breakaway to take on board with you and remind you of how BA used to serve food?

I think your problem is that you are unfamiliar with the airline (you don't say which, but I presume KLM). None of the other things you encounter are that unusual, and experienced KLM flyers are aware and know how to mitigate - just as those who fly BA already know the tips and tricks to make flying them and transfers with them more enjoyable. So ES is 3 across, it's very well publicised on the KLM forum, UK flights always arrive at the top end of Pier D (and you make judicious use of both the hand baggage trolleys and the moving walkways to speed you on your way!) and you always check the length of the queue at the Schengen passport check, and chose your lounge accordingly.

I've seen people on this forum receive fairly short shrift if their complaints about BA are caused by a lack of familiarity with how to fly BA - a number of these complaints seem to be generated by a lack of familiarity with how to fly KLM. You still haven't worked out the tips and tricks which make flying KLM more tolerable - but of course you worked out the equivalent tricks on BA (for example, I bet you check how long the transfer queues are in T5 before deciding which route to take - landside or airside!) so it's not really a true comparison. Each airline has their plusses and their minuses.

And last time I flew J on KLM (award - I don't pay for ES ) the food on EDI-AMS was actually really nice - about a 1000x better than EDI-LHR during the day and 10x better than the breakfast.