FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Come back BA, all is forgiven
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:01 am
thegoderic

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Come back BA, all is forgiven

More out of necessity than choice, I had to be unfaithful yesterday and flew EDI - AMS - TXL instead of my preferred route via LHR on BA.

However, due to the lateness of the booking, I ended up in C, rather than the travel policy of Y, so thought it couldn't be all that bad.

How wrong I was.

EDI Lounge
Is fairly awful and basic. Crowded, horrible ambience poor food and drink selection, no newspapers to read, never mind take with you on the flight. I should have gone to Costa Coffee instead.

EDI - AMS
Was cattle class by another name. 3 across seating in what felt like a very claustrophobic business cabin. No newspapers worth reading available (I'm not into the International Herald Tribune). A half decent business class meal, and some drinkable red.

AMS Transfer and Lounge
Awful. Firstly we landed at the end gate on one of the D piers which meant a long, long walk. I started counting steps and gave up at 1,000. I know T5 does require some long hikes, but this was ridiculous.

The queue for passport control and security (which you need to get into the Schengen area) was huge and I spent 30 of my 45 minutes connect time in line waiting to get processed. To add insult to injury, as we were reaching the front, an AMS airport goon leapt forward and decided my line was the premium line, and anyone who wasn't a Flying Boo elite had to go to the back of another line. My business class ticket got me through, but otherwise, I'd have been more than slightly incandescent, being sent back to the end of the line after 20 minutes queueing..

The security check required you to open your laptop (WHY?) which meant that mine wouldn't shut down again and I had to play about with it to shut it down. I know we moan about T5 transfer security, but this was much worse.

Lounge was crowded but not too bad, although only choice of one red and one white wine.

Finally, the departure gate was at the far end of the D piers again, meaning another long, long walk.

AMS - TXL
Was essentially a repeat of GLA - AMS with the replacement of a half decent red by some battery acid disguised as white.

The one good point os that was we'd entered the Schengen area in AMS, there was no passport control at TXL.

So, apart from the fact that the planes were running, the only thing in KLM's favour was the absence of a passport control at the other end. In almost every other aspect, it was a substandard product.