FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:51 pm
jtaft

Programs: status-less.
HR St. Louis at the Arch

Stayed two nights 6/4 and 6/5, one night on the Cardinals baseball package deal and the second from the recent sale. Baseball package is $189 and includes $10 at Red, two $49 tickets to game (we were in section 134) and letter that gets you a full-size personalized bat souvenir (retail $50 at ballpark). We had our grandson's name and "All-star" lasered in, but you can get pretty much any text you want. Didn't score the $1 room but did meet another FTer in the elevator that did.

CHECK-IN
On the good side, lots of physical recognition and a personal intro from the "VIP manager", all very nice, but no upgrade offered to this Diamond despite asking. It was my first stay there and the desk clerk indicated they'd "make a note in my account for next time". Ended up with RC floor small King with partial view of Arch to the left and partial view of city to the right. Hotel may have been quite full; both self and valet parking were full. Valet directed us to Mansion House parking just north of Hyatt on 4th street (turn right immediately after Crowne Plaza); $3/day weekend rate.

Clerk found my envelope with the baseball tickets OK and only required minor prompting for the amenity card. Wife chose drink/fruit (two bottles of Schafly Pale Ale and three apples) over the 1000 points. I would have preferred to take the points. Clerk also stated
that we should get some coupons for free drinks at the Starbucks in the property but could not find them. Said they'd be sent up but they never were. We stopped by the desk and got them the next morning.

CLUB
Very attentive concierges, standard food/drink offerings. Evening protein offering was two kinds of cheese plus some turkey slices in a tasty coleslaw/vinagrettem plus some shrimp one night. Morning protein offering was cream cheese, smoked salmon and other cheeses. RC has one Mac and one PC for computer service for those that like the choice.

An annoyance on Friday night was that the hockey game (on Versus channel) was not available in the club, only in the bar. RC really should have full channel package.

FOOD/DRINK
Bar offerings are average, nothing special. T-shirts worn by servers in sports bar are humorous. Price for a pedestrian Scotch (JW Black) is a tad high, but pours are generous.

EXERCISE ROOM
Nicely appointed but off by itself down a hallway. Oddly placed at a corner of the building, resulting in lots of street-level windows where people can watch you from the outside. Not being either svelte or handsome, I didn't like that.

HOUSEKEEPING
Abysmally slow. On Saturday we left our room before 9 and upon returning at 6PM found the room hadn't yet been made up, but staff was in the hall. Wife gave them a tongue-lashing and we retired to the Club to watch the end of the game (went extra innings). Upon return
an hour later found room had been done.

CHECK-OUT
Some confusions in the bill, but the desk clerk did kindly reverse charges from my prepaid package rate and apply some Costco certificates, so a plus there. Internet is charged to room. Multiple packages are available, I took the fastest/most expensive and it was waived at checkout without my prompting. It was on a separate bill and the clerk just took it from me and threw it away, saying "you don't have to worry about this".

MISCELLANEOUS
Elevators worked fine, were not slow.