FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand: A Gulf Air and Cathay Pacific special
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:38 pm
spanishflea

Date: 08/03/2010
No: CX253
Route: HKG-LHR
Time: 1455-2010
AC: B744
Class: First
Seats: 1A/1K

Up until the moment we boarded, the seatmap showed us as the only passengers in the cabin. After what seemed like an eternity, the cabin slowly started to fill up to the point where all the seats were taken. People were talking on their phones about their lucky upgrade, so it was pretty clear the flight was busy and there had been a lot of operational upgrades. Nevertheless, from the privacy of the Cathay Pacific First Class Suite, you really cannot detect there being anyone other than yourselves in the front row. 1A and 1K are perfect for couples as you can easily lean over and talk to each other, there is no passing traffic and you can’t see behind you without standing up.

We were offered our pre departure beverage and both went for the Champagne. It was our first time tasting Krug and I was looking forward to the experience. I was quite surprised not to taste anything hugely sensational and it was no more interesting than many of the Champagnes that BA serve around the £40-£60 mark. I was ever so slightly disappointed, but it was still wonderful to sit there in the nose of the 747 with a glass of bubbly, having been three years since I had last done it. The safety demo was nearing the end and James needed the bathroom, so I told him it would be fine to just go in. Unfortunately he was reprimanded, sent back to his seat like a naughty schoolboy and then ushered back to the toilet once the video had completed!

The boarding process really did seem to take an age, however once complete we were soon underway and climbing out over Hong Kong. Our menus and Bally washbags were handed out and our order was taken for dinner. Having had something to eat already for lunch we asked that dinner be served in two hours time, but we agreed to have the Caviar course then and there. The rest of the menu is as follows:

Lunch

Caviar and Balik

Caviar and Balik salmon “Tsar Nicolaj”

International Favourites

Lobster bisque
Mesclun salad with asparagus, sun dried tomato and balsamic vinaigrette
Grilled beef tenderloin with gratin potato, asparagus and baby carrots
Or
Pesto tortellini with tomato sauce and pine nuts

Chinese Favourites

Pork soup with winter melon and dried duck gizzard
Cold plate – deep fried sea bass with sweet vinegar dressing
Prawn butterfly wrapped with bean cud skin
Or
Braised duck with onion sauce

Served with steamed jasmine rice, stir-fried asparagus, pepper and shimeji mushrooms

Cheese and Dessert

Forme d’Ambert, Manchego, Arenberger, French Brie
Fresh berries and ginger syrup
Cheery clafoutis cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Snacks

Beef Skewer with salad and capsicum relish
Assorted sandwiches
Ice cream
Shrimp wontons with noodle in soup
Szechuenese dan dan noodle in soup

Dinner

Starter

Seasonal fresh fruit

Main Courses

Pan fried cornfed chicken with rosemary, grilled new potatoes, French beans, capsicum and mushrooms
Steamed cod fillet in preserved olive, steamed jasine rice and stir-fried broccoli
Mushroom and garlic agnolotti with basil tomato concasse and mixed mushrooms

Cheese and Dessert

Cambozola, Comte, Double Gloucester, Chaumes
Selected pastries

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Wine List

Champagne – Krug Grande Cuvee Champagne

White Wines:

Henri de Villamont Meursault 2005
Helen’s Hill Yarra Valley Chardonnay 2006

Red Wines:

Chateau Lynch Bages 2003
Wooing Tree Pinot Noir 2007
Bouchard Pere & Fils Morgon 2009

Port – Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny Port

The caviar was again another experience I was looking forward to and once again it was slightly underwhelming. The salmon was actually a lot more flavoursome than the caviar and the part I enjoyed the most. It was however washed down extremely pleasantly by the Krug. We both started to relax and watched a couple of films on the excellent and plentiful AVOD system. The Helen’s Hill Chardonnay is an excellent aperitif to sip on whilst watching a film and the seat is absolutely perfect for this day flight, with an infinite range of positions designed to suit even the most fidgety person like myself.

Two hours was soon up and we were asked whether we were ready for our lunch. I had the Lobster bisque paired with the Meursault and then the braised duck paired with the Pinot Noir. I then finished off with the cherry cake washed down with the Port, which was easily the loveliest drink they had on board that day, more than making up for the lack of a specific pudding wine on the menu.

The flight seemed to pass pretty quickly, helped in part by the excellent AVOD and also due to the wonderful teas that kept being served throughout the flight. There is nothing more pleasant than lying back with a premium cuppa whilst flying over the centre of the world.

As we came towards London we were asked what we’d like for dinner, but we were stuffed from the three meals we had already had and politely declined anything further. I settled on a glass of the Bordeaux, which sadly failed to impress contrasted against some of the beauties BA have had on board and in the lounges over the last few years. Sadly the reached top of descent and I headed back to join the queue to change out of our PJs. Whilst waiting in the galley, the crew got chatting and were absolutely adamant that we were in some kind of rock band and refused to take no for an answer. In the end I relented with a wink, but refused to sign any autographs!

We touched down on 09L and disembarked into an empty T3 out of door 1L.

Conclusion

Without a doubt the star of the trip was Gulf Air. Even though their ground handling and operations were a shambles, the in flight service was simply amazing. It is a massive shame that they no longer offer a First Class product as it is something I would have loved to have gone back to in the future. Cathay followed a very close second, with an amazingly consistent product that cuts right through that of all but the very best carriers in the world. On future Asian trips I will have no hesitation whatsoever redeeming onto CX instead of BA as BA have such a long way to go to reach that level of product consistency.

And as for Thailand, well we will definitely be heading back there very soon!