FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand: A Gulf Air and Cathay Pacific special
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:33 pm
spanishflea

Thailand: A Gulf Air and Cathay Pacific special

Introduction

My other half James and I have long been planning a trip to Thailand, ever since we got together he has been dying to take me round the islands that he travelled to on his gap year when he travelled round the world. We had been dithering over when to go and more importantly how to get there, when a little birdie told us about an interesting deal from Cairo to Bangkok on Gulf Air.

We ended up taking up the offer and ended up with the foundation of our trip, a one way CAI-BAH-BKK on Gulf Air, in First Class, for the grand total of £180.

Getting to Cairo was also easy and we used 30,000 bmi miles and £130 tax for a Business Class ticket on the direct LHR-CAI flight.

All that was left was the return, which was easily taken care of with some American Airlines miles. 70,000 miles each and a grand total of £13 tax for a BKK-HKG-LHR in First Class on Cathay Pacific.

To finalise things I insisted on an £80 fully flex BKK-HKT ticket on Thai to get us down to the islands just in case things went wrong with the GF deal, therefore giving us full flexibility over each ticket.

This was where my involvement with the trip planning ended. James was insistent that he wanted to plan the travel around the islands and book all the accommodation. Faced with a busy period at work this seemed like a good idea at the time…