FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No Snacks
Thread: No Snacks
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:21 am
knope2001

My experience with the inflight food sales is limited (so far) to flights primarily operated as Midwest (like MKE-LGA), but since the food was standardized months back, I don’t think I’ve witnessed any F/A ask passengers if they’d like to buy.

What YX passengers are used to was an announcement of what was available for sale, and then on the drink pass the F/A asked if you wanted to purchase food when they asked if you’d like something to drink.

Now, on some flights they don’t say anything and on other flights they say that the service guide in your seatback pocket details food available. As a passenger, when you’re asked what you’d like to drink in rapid-fire order, you have to then interrupt and ask if they have anything to eat for sale.

I’d suspect they’d have a whole lot more uptake on food purchases if they asked passengers “would you like to purchase a snack” when they did the beverage pass . If that was too time consuming, they could at least make a slightly more involved announcement such as “We have a variety of snacks and a limited number of sandwiches available for purchase on this flight. More details can be found on the service brochure in your seatback pocket. If you’re interested, please notify the flight attendant during the beverage service.”

The way I’ve witnessed it most often is that passengers are left to wonder what if anything might actually be for sale on this particular flight, and then they must interrupt the rhythm of the beverage pass to ask the F/A. That is not exactly encouraging sales.

I would guess the onboard food sales are probably not a big revenue source in general, but if you’re going to promote it on the brochure and website and go to the bother of doing catering, you might as well encourage people to use it.

And for Classic Plus people to not get what they have purchased, that’s not going to win friends and influence people…at least not in a good way.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The last F9 flight I was on, FAs came down the aisle with snacks immediately after the drinks. They made sure to give the snacks to the pax with Classic Plus.. Maybe you should let F9 know, so they can avoid this happening in the future.
I hope this is or will become the norm!