FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visas for US citizens -- the 2010 changes
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:00 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
I need to get tourist visas for my family for August travel. I've always done this myself, by showing up at a Chinese embassy or consulate in various US cities when I happen to be there. If my memory is correct, I've typically gotten a money order for the right amount and dropped off a "next day air" envelope for the consulate to ship the passports back to me.

I'm going to be in DC in a couple of weeks and planned to apply there. But, looking at their not-very-clear website, it looks like things have changed. First, they seem to want to be paid by credit card. That's certainly a good thing! Second -- and not so good -- they don't seem to want to mail the passports back to me.

Can anyone who's recently applied -- especially in DC -- shed light on what's going on these days? If I can wait a day, can I get my passport back, or is processing slower than that? And how slow is it? Am I allowed to rope a colleague or family member into picking up the passports (and mailing them back to me) -- or can I cajole the Embassy into doing it for me despite the supposed prohibition? Finally, is there an easier way to do this, if I don't want to spend a lot of money on a passport service (there are 4 of us, so it's usually "real money" to use a service)?

I'm also assuming that the maximum validity for a visa is still under a year (so that I'll have to do this nonsense again if, say, I want to visit next year).

Thanks for the help!
I got my 2009 visa in person at the DC Consulate and they were not offering mail back service at that time (a clear policy change from previous years). On a more positive note, I've had nothing but good experiences with the staff there. Furthermore, if anyone is willing to process 2 year visas for people without Chinese blood, it's these guys (also in 2009, they encouraged me to go to Kinko's and return with "a letter"). It might be tough to convince them that your kids need business visas though, child actors?