FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Packing tips - Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!
Old May 24, 2010, 8:34 pm
Mr. Elliott

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=JMN57;13928292]You missed the key point - she's a FA. How many times have you seen them roll on with a roller, bag stacked on-top and a bag hanging from the hook? I don't begrudge them but the flight crew isn't/doesn't seem to be as bound by carry-on regs as us passengers.

I believe flight crews are exempt from the 2 carry-on limit and also from the 3-1-1 liquid limit.

I believe flight crews are exempt from the 2 carry-on limit and also from the 3-1-1 liquid limit.

I often see flight crews, mostly FA’s with a third black case, these are usually insulated food bags that the FA’s carry with them because they keep the per diems that the airlines give them and thus can not afford to eat out, so they carry 3 to 4 days worth of food with them.

I use a 5” wide hard shell Samsonite attaché case as my personal carry on item, it is exactly 35 linear inches so it meet all the rules. The internal size is 12” x 17” so it can easily take a net book or a thin laptop and still have room to spare. I always pack my laptop in my roller board because I do not have the need to access it in flight, so I use my attaché case for other items. It has file folder compartments which I use, but they can be cut out if not needed and then the internal depth is 4.75 inches.

Because it is a hard shell, I use it as a footrest when I place it underneath the seat in front of me, and once airborne, I place it vertical behind my legs to free up the space under the seat in front of me. I hook it to my roller bag with the bags supplied strap and it balances my roller bag perfectly so I can hold the handle with one finger as I walk through the terminal.

Another item I carry on board with me is a small insulated soft collapsible food bag, these are allowed under the rules because the rules say a bistro sized food bag can be carried on board in addition to the other 2 items allowed. It is large enough to hold a six pack of cans, so sometimes I buy or bring sandwiches from home to eat on board. To keep my food cold, I pack a zip lock bag of ice when I leave the house, dump the ice before security, but keep the bag and refill the ice from a food vendor in the terminal. I have even got ice on board the airplane if I needed it to keep my food cold for a long time. I usually tell who ever I ask for ice I need the ice to keep my medicines cold, it works every time.

Occasionally I have been told by non airline security guards before I get in line at security that I have 3 carry on items, I tell them that it is a food bag and is allowed under the rules, so they let it pass, they have never asked me to open it for inspection and I have never had a problem with the TSA either.

Mr. Elliott