FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your worst experience, and how was it handled?
Old May 21, 2010, 8:22 am
Winecaptain

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
This one is fun. I have three that I have trouble deciding from.

First Hilton New York, stayed in a room on the "Diamond Floor" for a week. The couch did not have any cushions on it. Called front desk, stopped by front desk, called housekeeping, left note in room, finally began calling management office (still nothing). Found email address to GM [email protected] and sent him photos. The following day had cushions on sofa. This only took 4 days to fix. No compensation, nothing, just a large unusable sofa in the room.

Second Hilton New York, was told at front desk upon check in that they do not have a "Diamond Floor" and that my room was my room (which is interesting since I stopped on the elevator and took a photo with my phone of the HH Diamond Floor that supposedly does't exist according to the front desk "Diamond Check In"). They could not upgrade me,as they were full. There was a high school convention going on and the kids broke the elevators. Had to use the service elevator to access my floor. Called GM again, he remembered me from my last stay, and he said that he was sorry about the check in and elevator experience and that he would be sending me a bottle of wine (he asked if I preferred white or red) to the room for the inconvenience. Needless to say, no bottle of wine ever showed up. I have since given up on the NY Hilton. It is in a great location, but the hotel service is HORRIBLE.

Third, the Waldorf Astoria Orlando. Nobody opened the door for me when walking in (even though a doorman was standing there watching me). I went to check in and was given a room. I had reserved a 2 queen room (as it was $20 cheaper than a King) and then put in my comments "Prefer a King Bed Room. Please upgrade if availble, HH Diamond #XXXXX. Thank you very much!" My HH Profile also states in room preferences king bed, high floor, near elevator. I checked in (no mention of HH status at check in & no thank you for my loyalty). I arrived at room, 2 queens, at farthest end of hallway from elevator, on a low floor... I called the front desk and was told that there were no king beds. The hotel seemed fairly empty, so I used my cell phone to call the hotel directly and asked for reservations office. I told them that I was driving into town and asked if they had a King Bed room available for the night. They said that they did and the rate would be $219. I thanked them. I then sent an email to the GM who to date has not responded to me (over two weeks ago). I realize that these complaints sound petty, but they tout this hotel as the "finest in Orlando". I went down to the bar and had a cocktail, the bartender asked about my stay and I told him what had transpired and that I had been lied to by the front desk. Unbenounced to me he contacted his manager (Assistant Restaurant Manager), who came up and told me that he had heard about my problems and had a key to a "very nice room for me". It was a large King Suite. He walked me up to the room and assisted me with my bags. He also comped my cocktails at the bar. End result was a very nice suite and two free cocktails. The unfortunate part is that the GM has never bothered to respond to my email. I left with the feeling that someone cared enough to make a difference, so I will return to the hotel and try it again. Unfortunately, I am still not convinced that the people that are "in charge" really cared.