FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread
Old May 19, 2010, 11:39 am
PMMMDL

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by 5khours
I don't really have an opinion on and have never thought about whether I know more than others. But if someone believes DL provides good value on their SM program and is able to use it to fly at reasonable prices in business class on international, I would be very interested in hearing the details and would probably fly a lot more DL. I used to fly NW on business class and with a combination of J fares and upgrades on discount economy fares, I averaged about $1700 for an RT TPAC. On UA, last year I bought only discount economy, averaged $1200 per RT and got upgraded 95% of the time (19/20) on the TPAC segments. If I could do that on DL or even get close to the $1700 average I used to pay on NW, I'd be flying mostly DL. I usually book about 2 weeks out. I'm not trying to prove a point, but there are a lot of posters claiming the DL SM program is fine. If that's the case, someone has bad information. If it's me who is misinformed, I'd like to know the specifics so I can take advantage of it and make better use of DL for my travel. I think that's the whole point of the forum.....to share useful information.

It is all about perspectives.

Apparently you think the trade-off of possibly not sitting in J class on a long haul flight occasionally worth the difference between a Delta M fare and a lower priced upgradeable ticket on UA (as you said, 95%).

I am personally not willing to take that risk (on AA or UA or any other airline including Delta), and I have found availability of advance upgrade seating (at least on AA where I have SWUs) generally unavailable. I can generally find the Z availability on Delta on one routing or another.

To DLConvert

I would call DL on a regular basis, and start calling daily at the 2 week out mark (before other upgrade windows open).
(but normally I won't book unless the upgrade is available)