FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - when fellow pax won't turn off iphone?
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2010, 1:31 pm
clrankin

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Again, please take a deep breath and actually read what I wrote. I didn't say I have ever seen anyone hauled off, please point out to me where I wrote that..What I did say was there are remedies in place should they choose to enforce them. Interesting that you think rules don't apply to you.
What you specifically said was "...go ahead and see how that works for you" in the context of "legal consequences". I was replying to that part of the post, hence why it was quoted.

My simple statement was that I had "gone ahead" a number of times in the past, and my experience of seeing "how that worked for me" was the FA simply requesting that I turn the phone off. There were no tickets, fines, arrests, threats, etc. given. So, in my experience, how it "worked for me" was simple-- ignored initial requests provided no consequence other than an FA asking for the item to be turned off and stowed.

I was merely querying whether or not you've ever seen any FA do anything different on any flight with any other customer. I think it would make a pretty good story if you had (mostly because it would show a rather extreme reaction on the part of the FA, IMO).

As far as the rules applying to me... Well, like I've said in previous posts, when the rules aren't silly and stupid, I'm happy to follow them. But when they're rather pointless, cause an inconvenience, and really aren't enforced in the first place, I see no reason to follow them. Hence, why I still wouldn't bother to turn my phone off during take-off and landing today if I were still flying. There are also apparently a large number of other people who feel the same way I do about this whole "electronics off" nonsense.