FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old May 14, 2010, 11:45 pm
johnnierotten5

Will this work?

Hi All,

I am hoping I found a plan that will work to use Skymiles to get from ATL to Asia and back in March/April 2011. But, I'm new at this and I need some opinions on if it is a good plan.

We are trying to go from ATL -HKG around 3/26/11 and then home from NRT-ATL 4/9/11. But, I could not find any low flights to China anywhere that fit our schedule. Since most flights from US to China go through NRT, I started there -on the suggestion of others here. I will try calling and checking if there are any Low seats on partner airlines to get us from NRT to China.

I did notice the final price came to 90,000 instead of 60,000 and I am not sure why. All the legs I looked up seperately were Low and showed the low mileage amount when searching the one way segments. But maybe when I call they can help me figure that part out.

We figured we would get a hotel room to rest for the long gaps at PDX and MSP. Going, there is a 14hour layover at PDX and coming home we had to take the MSP flight the next day because the gap between flights was too small. (if you read my original post, I also saw Low Business seats for our friend on all the same flights going to Asia - he only wanted business going there, not necessarily coming back).

This is what I came up with (I put on Hold until Sunday), does it seem reasonable??

Tue 22MAR Delta 166 LV ATLANTA, GA (ATL) 12:30pm Coach
AR NEW YORK JOHN (JFK) 2:56pm

Tue 22MAR Delta 2997 LV NEW YORK JOHN (JFK) 7:00pm Coach
AR PORTLAND, OR (PDX) 10:41pm

Wed 23MAR Delta 91 LV PORTLAND, OR (PDX) 1:40pm Coach
AR TOKYO-NARITA, (NRT) 4:45pm

Fri 08APR Delta 620 LV TOKYO-NARITA, (NRT) 4:00pm Coach
AR MINNEAPOLIS/S (MSP) 1:00pm

Fri 08APR Delta 2774 LV MINNEAPOLIS/S (MSP) 1:15pm Coach
AR MEMPHIS, TN (MEM) 3:21pm

Fri 08APR Delta 668 LV MEMPHIS, TN (MEM) 5:10pm Coach
AR ATLANTA, GA (ATL) 7:35pm