FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pets again welcome in cabin?
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2010, 1:19 pm
mke9499

Originally Posted by blucys
It is interesting that the re-introduction of this program is getting the comments that it is getting...I dont believe the general public knew that the old Midwest had the "Premiere Pet Program"...where they gave you a care package for your pet along with allowing your pet to accrue frequent flyer miles towards a free ticket.

Besides...most airlines already have one of these in place...In fact Airtran has a similar program...So the negativity of this is bewildering.

I have even heard this brought up on talk radio and the calls have almost entirely been negative...people complaining about allergies and the smell of feces...Comparing a dog on board to someone bringing their baby...There was even a suggestion that terrorists could stow a device inside an animal they were carrying on...Craziness!

People, these types of programs have been around forever.
Granted, there have been some crazy comments about in-cabin pets, but there are some serious concerns, which must be taken into consideration.

The PPP was much smaller scale; originally it allowed only small dogs, and I believe, toward the end, also allowed small cats. I also recall that only two or three were allowed in the cabin, per flight.

My objection concerns the maximum allowable, per flight, without regard to the size/capacity of the aircraft...whether it's an Airbus with 136 seats or an E135 with 37 seats; I believe that there should be a logical formula, not just a flat number for any flight.

Also, until you have actually seen someone having an allergy/asthma attack, which critically affects their ability to breathe, do not downplay the health risk. It can be a life-threatening situation.

If most airlines are notified that a passenger on a particular flight has a severe pet allergy, they will try to make accommodations to move the pet and its owner away from the passenger who has the allergy; some will even go as far as asking the passenger traveling with the pet if they would be willing to take a different flight, if need be.

Obviously, this is a very touchy topic, but there must be a happy medium; IMO, this new program can use some modifications.

I like animals, too...I've had my share of pets. But, a law called ADA must be taken into consideration. Asthma and allergies are considered disabilities under the ADA.