FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP officer gave me a stern warning that my laptop shouldn't have ripped DVD/Blu-ray
Old May 13, 2010, 1:01 pm
JohnneeO

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by avsfan733

yup...however they would (and have) made the argument that it isn't illegal to copy, its only illegal to break encryption. The solution they proposed is playing your movie on a TV and videotaping the TV (seriously). They made that argument to try and prevent DMCA from being overturned for what it is, a serious and unnecessary restriction of consumer freedom.
I have actually known one person to do this. Make VHS tapes of their DVD's and watch those instead of the DVD's.

My biggest problem with Digital Copy protection has been with trying to back-up some 20 year old commercial VHS tapes to DVD. The process I was trying to use was low-tech. Just play the VHS tape in real-time while activating the timer-based recording on the DVD player/recorder. The timer starts, then the DVD recorder stops while the VHS continues to play. Very frustrating.