FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Big Island Activity and/or Must-Do" thread
Old May 11, 2010, 11:09 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mantas
I know. Thank you for your advice.
AA agent told me that I can change the flights even after been already booked (which I already did), because is better to secure the rest of the fligths.
Also, if I keep all the flights booked in one itinerary on AA, the luggages limitations are less as it is considered as one whole international flight itinerary. I was told that if a cut the itinerary to take an internal flight (KOA to HNL) on Hawaiian Airlines or another line, I could have some trouble with internal flight luggages limitations and surcharges. Worst of all, if that flight is overcharged some of the luggages can not make it onboard.

I will spent some more time at Waikiki beach at Hilton complex (it was recommend) and snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, climbing Diamond Head, visiting Pearl Harbour and enjoying Honolulu. Just relaxing after jumping all around LA (and Disney/Universal/Sea World) and Big Island.
Some tips for the Oahu stay?
Best regards.
Just a thought - I think the AA agent is wrong. When you show up at the HA counter for your Interisland flight, they won't care about AA's international itinerary and will charge you for the extra bags. HA has nothing to do with AA. Assuming you're going origin-HNL-KOA in one direction on the same day and AA is just transferring your bags airside at HNL, it will still leave you with a problem with you try to check-in at KOA for the flight back to HNL.

What I would do is arrange in advance to store the extra bags near the airport, take your Interisland flight with just what you need for a slightly longer BI stay, then reclaim the extra bags when you return to HNL before your int'l flight home.

For O'ahu, it will depend somewhat on what you are interested in doing and when you will you be there. Can you post your entire itinerary and dates so we know what order you're doing everything and what time of year you're traveling?

Here is my suggested itinerary:

Day 1 - depart origin, arrive HNL, transfer to hotel, balance of day at leisure
Day 2 - activity day on O'ahu
Day 3 - activity day on O'ahu
Day 4 - activity day on O'ahu
Day 5 - activity day on O'ahu
Day 6 - store bags with Hilton, morning transfer to KOA, transfer to Sheraton, balance of day at leisure
Day 7 - activity day on BI
Day 8 - activity day on BI
Day 9 - activity day on BI
Day 10 - activity day on BI
Day 11 - transfer to HNL, reclaim excess bags from Hilton, flight back to origin

The airport transfer fee back to Hilton to get the bags and return to the airport will still likely be cheaper than what HA will charge for excess and overweight bags.