FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would CO/UAL consider LAX-GUM service
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2010, 8:42 pm
KosraeTV

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by pacific832
Yikes! You're right! I spoke poorly. I really appreciate your insights Kosrae TV, and I definitely didn't mean to offend.

I should have worded my response more carefully. When I said off-islanders, I was referring to State-siders. I was busy thinking of the impact of the buildup on LAx-GUM flights, and highlighting that most workers will be coming from the Asia/Pacific region. Basically, I was trying to say that while Manila-Guam flights will likely increase, I would be surprised to see LAX-GUM routes be created (or LAX-HNL-GUM routes be increased significantly).

I completely agree that there will be a significant influx of people from the Pacific and the Philippines. I just don't see enough State-siders coming to impact flights in that direction (the DEIS estimates total long-term Civilian Military Workers to be 1836, and their dependents to be 1,745). There will certainly be an increase in off-island labor positions, but again, that'll attract regional workers more than Statesiders (who don't even know where our island is located).

In fact, I agree with nearly every word you wrote. I'd only add two small points:
  • Recently, it was decided that temporary workers will be housed off-base. This is hugely impactful, and GovGuam will feel the strain on utilities, medical, and welfare almost immediately following the influx of temporary workers. A 70k increase will impact a local hospital that's already lacking enough beds to meet current needs, not to mention the impact on an currently strained water, power, wastewater system.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one aware of (and offended by) the rampant corruption up at Won Pat International. Don't get me started on the Airport Police.

Regarding my sources, I've read much of the DEIS (which was NOT fun), and sat in on a bunch of high-level GovGuam, JGPO, NAVFACPAC, NAVFACMAR, utilities, port, airport, contractors association, and local chamber of commerce meetings. This, actually, is probably a bad thing... lol... with all the contradictory info/estimates flying around, it's likely that the more meetings a person is privy to, the worse the information.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you KosraeTV, and I definitely agree with your points (I should have been more precise with my wording). I'm new on these forums, and I'm very excited to be part of the community. :-)
Didn't offend me at all, just trying to get the facts together as where I sit, from the side of a place that is shipping / training etc.. folks to go INTO Guam my meetings are a lot different. I've got meetings on just about the same places and more but from different folks most likely

I know the off base housing will happen and the Military will only be responsible for on base items. As such Gov Guam has huge issues. If it was not for the shipping lines getting the Gantry together the port would be in shambles and still might be. I still can't see the port handling the cargo. And the Airport Authority we can agree is a total mess.

Workers can come from state side but the contractors want to get the awarded contracts and want to use imported cheaper labor obviously not Unionized or US mainland labor. BUT... when the economy tanked many folks were looking to see what the build up was doing if anything as many folks were out of jobs. If the economy does not turn around you could see folks head out from the mainland for work.

The LAX GUM route was never meant for the temporary workers, but with the military there will be an increase in operations supporting the military coming from the USA mainland and it would / could feed into the Co Mike route system. So the LAX GUM flight was discussed when the order for the DreamLiner was placed.

Way back when... Co Mike requested Smith Street to look at using a direct to GUM flight from the mainland and it was determined that LAX would be the good position to depart from (way back when).

This route really did not have anything to do with the workers but more of the overall build up and then feed into the system.