FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would CO/UAL consider LAX-GUM service
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2010, 8:27 pm
pacific832

Programs: CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yikes! You're right! I spoke poorly. I really appreciate your insights Kosrae TV, and I definitely didn't mean to offend.

I should have worded my response more carefully. When I said off-islanders, I was referring to State-siders. I was busy thinking of the impact of the buildup on LAx-GUM flights, and highlighting that most workers will be coming from the Asia/Pacific region. Basically, I was trying to say that while Manila-Guam flights will likely increase, I would be surprised to see LAX-GUM routes be created (or LAX-HNL-GUM routes be increased significantly).

I completely agree that there will be a significant influx of people from the Pacific and the Philippines. I just don't see enough State-siders coming to impact flights in that direction (the DEIS estimates total long-term Civilian Military Workers to be 1836, and their dependents to be 1,745). There will certainly be an increase in off-island labor positions, but again, that'll attract regional workers more than Statesiders (who don't even know where our island is located).

In fact, I agree with nearly every word you wrote. I'd only add two small points:
  • Recently, it was decided that temporary workers will be housed off-base. This is hugely impactful, and GovGuam will feel the strain on utilities, medical, and welfare almost immediately following the influx of temporary workers. A 70k increase will impact a local hospital that's already lacking enough beds to meet current needs, not to mention the impact on an currently strained water, power, wastewater system.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one aware of (and offended by) the rampant corruption up at Won Pat International. Don't get me started on the Airport Police.

Regarding my sources, I've read much of the DEIS (which was NOT fun), and sat in on a bunch of high-level GovGuam, JGPO, NAVFACPAC, NAVFACMAR, utilities, port, airport, contractors association, and local chamber of commerce meetings. This, actually, is probably a bad thing... lol... with all the contradictory info/estimates flying around, it's likely that the more meetings a person is privy to, the worse the information.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you KosraeTV, and I definitely agree with your points (I should have been more precise with my wording). I'm new on these forums, and I'm very excited to be part of the community. :-)