FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would CO/UAL consider LAX-GUM service
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2010, 7:39 pm
KosraeTV

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by pacific832
Good point. Currently, Guam gets 1-1.3 million tourist visits a year (I'm not sure how many more ppl travel to Guam for business, or how many locals leave Guam on business/vacation trips). At it's peak, the buildup will bring 70,000 contract workers to island. However, they will almost all be coming from the Philippines; so, I would estimate that there may be short term increases in Manila-Guam flights. .........
Your sources come from where?

70,000 is the expected overall population increase over the entire build up not at one time. New Employment for the build up only (temporary) is estimated at 30,000 with majority (20,000) being temporary construction jobs (for over the entire island, port, roads, electrical, everything not just base housing) and yes most would be Filipino. By changing the H-2 workers ruling Guam stands to lose a lot but these are only temporary workers.

Now granted for an island of 180,000 population adding 70,000 is going to put a big strain on everything from water, medical, land management etc... The military already owns about 1/3 of the island (controls it atleast) but they will only provide for those living on base. Gov Guam will have to feel the strain of the education / medical / welfare / police etc... But this is over time. Not at one shot.

Understand that citizens of Palau, FSM, RMI can enter / live / work in Guam freely. And Guam has already complained for years and years that they can't cope with these citizens. How Gov. Guam will handle this onslaught will be laughable. Majority of homeless in Guam are Chukese (part of the FSM). So there are big big issues for Gov Guam to deal with.

Now since this is an airline site... think what Won Pat will do... I've just been in a disagreement with Mary Torres who is sister of the governor and married to the chief justice and a political stooge who is "employed" by the Airport Authority. They can not even manage to get airport security to man the transit doors when planes land. This is one of the worst managed airports in the world, I can't imagine what they will do when a few more planes land.

After the recent go around with them my last trips through the transit doors were opened and manned which is a miracle after years of these issues. Due to the change in transit rules everyone must go through immigration even if you are sitting there for only 1 hour transit. The security and partitions they put up are just beautiful.

Last edited by KosraeTV; May 4, 2010 at 8:01 pm