FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help to narrow down list of BA restaurants to visit?
Old May 1, 2010, 9:44 am
tranzformer

Help to narrow down list of BA restaurants to visit?

My fiancee and I are getting married in 1 week! Crazy how time flies. So in just a little over a week my wife and I will be in Argentina for ~ 3 weeks (20 days). 10 days in Patagonia and 10 days in BA. I have been making a list of restaurants that we would like to visit in BA so that we don't need to spend time doing research while in BA and can instead enjoy our time. Now we can plan our sightseeing around general areas of where we plan to eat lunch and dinner. We plan to eat most of our lunches and dinners out but a few times will probably stay in and cook in our apartment. So I'm looking at potentially 16 different chances to eat at a restaurant. So far I have 38 restaurants on our list!!! 24 of those are steak/parilla places. So I need help. I have just listed the parilla places as I thought that would be the easiest to narrow down.

I did most of my research off of various websites and blogs. Some of the information was unfortunately a few years old, so that is why I was hoping to get an updated idea of which ones might be better to skip and which ones were still worthwhile to visit. The ones in bold are the ones we for sure want to visit.

1) Siga La Vaca
Address: Avenida Alicia Moreau de Justo 1714, Puerto Madero

I know it is a ¨tenedor libre¨ but I have read good reviews on it and would like to have something to compare against Fogo de Chao (Brazillian all you can eat steakhouse) here in the States. Also it will make for a good lunch at AEP before our flight to Patagonia.

2) Spettus Steak House
Address: Alicia Moreau de Justo 876 Puerto Madero

Not sure if I need to visit another "tenedor libre" or not, but I was thinking it might be nice to visit one more to compare against Siga La Vaca. These "tenedor libre" restaurants sound like they have good meats/cuts offered, and I know they will provide much better meat and bang for the buck than Fogo de Chao. Maybe I should skip Spettus and just go with Siga La Vaca since I already have so many places on my list? Or is it worthwhile to visit?

3) La Brigada
Address: Estados Unidos 465 San Telmo

4) La Cabrera
JA Cabrera 5099 Palermo Viejo Palermo

5) Club Eros
Uriarte 1609 (@ Honduras), Palermo Soho

6) Don Julio
Address: Guatemala 4691 and Gurruchaga, Palermo Soho

7) Juana M
Address: Carlos Pellegrini 1535, Recoleta

8) El Obrero
Address: Augustín R. Caffarena 64 La Boca

9) El Trapiche
Address: Paraguay 5599 Palermo Hollywood

10) El Desnivel
Address: Defensa 855 San Telmo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those are the ones that I feel like we must visit to get a feel for great local BA steak. The following are ones that I have read about that sound interesting or that maybe 1-2 comments have been written about.

11) El Yugo
Address: Ayacucho 1629 Recoleta

12) Las Cholas
Address: Arce 306, Buenos Aires

13) El Farol
Address: Estado de Israel, Av. 4488 Almagro

14) El Estanciero
Address: Báez 202 and Argüibel Palermo

15) La Caballeriza
Gral.I. Chenaut, Av. 1878

16) El Encanto
Address: Bonpland 1690 Palermo Hollywood

17) Social La Lechuza
Address: Uriarte 1980 Palermo

18) La Cholita
Address: Rodriguez Pena 1165

19) Parilla 1880
Address: Defensa 1665 San Telmo

20) El Establo
Address: Paraguay 489

21) La Chacra
Address: Cordoba Av. 941

22) La Bistecca
Address: Av. Alicia Moreau de Justo 1890, Puerto Madero

23) Pichi Huasi
Address: Uriburu 1687 Recoleta

24) La Dorita
Address: Humboldt 1911 esq. Costa Rica Palermo

So are there any on the 1-10 list that I should take off? Any on the 11-24 that should go on it? There are probably 3-4 non "steak" restaurants that we will probably visit (Italian, Pizza, vegetarian...etc.) to mix things up a bit. We are both hearty eaters but enjoy great quality food. Not a big fan of overly artistic food where you get a small piece of entrée with a pretty design to it. Not sure I will have any problems with that at most parillas. I know the above list is long, so I am very sorry. But if you can offer any advice or comments on how to narrow the list that would be great. Or any updates on how good/bad some of these places have become recently. Thanks guys. ^