FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discount Codes/Corporate Codes Require ID?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:00 am
judolphin

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jackal
(and can even call their buddies at the other agencies to put you on a citywide de-facto blacklist (everyone will just tell you they're sold out). I've seen it happen at several agencies (not just Dollar).
Sorry for the necrobump -- this post is for the benefit of Googlers like me. No freaking way this has ever happened. Anyone who Googles this, don't believe it. They never ask for ID in the first place. If they do, you either just say "I'm out of business cards" or you're a complete idiot.

Don't impersonate a government employee, that's a crime. "Impersonating" an IBM employee is not.

You'd find lots of stories about this if this were true. And if an agent threatens to "blacklist" you (puhleeze), laugh in his face, go on your laptop, book a car and go pick up the other car.

Lying to prevent something of slightly dubious moral standing (we're not talking rape or murder here, we're talking a stupid car rental discount) is 100% hypocritical.

That said, you should NOT use a car rental corporate discount for a company you don't work for, because it's wrong. That is why you shouldn't do it. But, I'm just being honest that you will 99.9999999% get away with it if you do (I was never carded when I did it in my college years, not even once).

If you decide not to do it, it should be because it's wrong, not because you're scared of some fake consequence.