FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any suggestions for business/business casual attire for young women (~age 25)?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:31 am
oldpenny16
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I really don't mean for this to sound like a lecture, but I interview a lot of your women. The one thing that is a constant irritating to me is their grammar.

Your clothes can be perfect but if your spelling is from text messages and your sentences start with 'Ya, like....' you've already irritated me.

I am far less sensitive to shoe issues although I just don't get along with the idea of bare legs under skirts with suit jackets.

Maybe it is my location in Texas, but having a college degree doesn't equal making a good impression with vocabulary and grammar.

Also think about how you sound on the telephone, especially if you are driving or walking outside. I telephoned a young woman yesterday to ask business questions and she said "Nope, I'm not busy. I just got ME a cup of coffee and I can chat."

When I send you out in a leadership situation, I want you to sound as good as you look.

I completely understand that my 'elderly' thinking about attire is more than likely out of date, but I do try to consider someone's age when looking at them.

I know that you would never think of wearing the clingy jersey dress that a young sales woman wore when she visited us. Some of the men were thrilled and enjoyed her visit, but she was showing more than I really wanted to know about her. She sold nothing.

Also if you have any tatoos, please cover them up. They may be trendy with young women, but they don't spell out BUSINESS to many of us older folks.

Some clothing issues are regional. Although many women wear pants suits in the good old South, a really nice skirt goes a long way toward making a good impression. If you have the figure for it, a really nice pencil skirt is often a real winner.