FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Food in Manila?
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:34 am
bmttokyo

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
Manila Eats

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Hello bmttokyo,
I'm heading to Manila later this year and have posted to a thread that reports various FT'ers Manila dining experiences. I believe I read that you have spent some time in Manila. If you could post some of your restaurant experiences/suggestions I (& I'm sure anyone interested in Manila dining) would very much appreciate it. Here is the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...od-manila.html

THANKS & happy Flyertalking

Willie

Hi SW,
Yes we frequent Manila & enjoy eating out a lot. The great thing about Manila is that you can satisfy your yen for any kind of cuisine for an unbelievably reasonable price. We normally stay in the Greenhills (HI Galleria, CP Galleria) & Makati areas (Intercon)

Here are some places that we love-
Greenhills area

1) Savory Chicken now known as Classic Savory at the Greenhills (GH) Theatre Mall
My favorite chicken in Manila which started as a Chinese noodle shop in the '50s. As a little girl, we enjoyed Sunday dinner at the Escolta branch. They went underground & started closing shop for the past 20+ years but was delighted when I saw it newly reopened at the GH Mall last summer. The chicken is tender & tasty, their gravy so delish- just like I remember it. I think it's the gravy I keep coming back for.

2) Kimpura at GH shopping complex
We live in Tokyo so we normally don't bother eating at Japanese restaurants in Manila but Kimpura always beckons. A long time favorite of our family since the '80's where we still enjoy the teppanyaki & tempura.

3) Cibo at the GH Promenade
Delicious, authentic, very affordable, informal Italian restaurant owned & run by Gaita Fores, who studied cooking in Italy. She wanted more Filipinos to have access to Italian cuisine. She's done a great job by placing Cibo in several malls.

4) Arya at the GH Promenade
Enjoyed our meal with the owner, Shin K. making recommendations. The blogger shows a number of dishes we enjoyed ourselves.

5) Peri Peri Grill at the GH Promenade
Reminds me so much of California's Pollo Loco.

5) Bizu Patisserie at the GH Promenade
Loads of choices for your sweet tooth. Seriously !

6) Burgoo at the Promenade
My kids love this place.

7) Via Mare at the GH Promenade
Still delivers my college day faves - Bibingka, arroz caldo & many other Filipino merienda ( mid afternoon meal) fares . Now with a revamped ,updated but very affordable menu.

To search for other branches of these restaurants= check here

This took way longer than I expected so will have to stop here. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong & erase everything I typed. Coming hopefully soon-
Serendra & Makati restaurants. Now I seriously wish I were in Manila for some take out. Time to fix dinner..........

Matta ne !

Last edited by bmttokyo; Apr 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm Reason: Hyperlink errors