FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: Flightstats.com CAN NOT BE TRUSTED
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:19 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kolsky
4. When a web site (and flightstats was not the only one, TripCase sent me an email telling me the flight was canceled) tells you that a flight that you're supposed to take is CANCELED. How can you ever trust their sources again? Do I need to check EVERYTHING the post now? This was not an airline problem, it was not an airport problem. I also agree that it was not flightstats/tripcase problem. But since these sites post the info - they can not be trusted.
It is entirely possible that the airline posted the flight as canceled at one point and then reinstated it. That would probably be enough for the monitoring sites to issue the canceled notification. The website aren't making up the data themselves; they get it from 3rd party feeds and then they display it in a "pretty" way to the customer. Should you put full faith in information provided by a 3rd party source? I know I never would. Choosing to get alerts from the 3rd party rather than the aircraft operator exposes you to the chance that they'll be wrong.