FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Food in Manila?
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:09 am
J_Hawk

Programs: Shangri-La Golden Circle Exec, AA Exec Plat, United Premier, Marriott Plat, National Exec, SPG GOLD
Magandang Umaga!!

Salamat to Sweet Willie for bringing this thread to my attention...

I've been to the Phil 20+ times over the last ten years working in the call center business.

This is my list of fun, local places:

1. Singing Waiters & Cooks - Filipino food with constant entertainment from the staff. Filipinos, Japanese, Korean, Brits, Aussies and Americans frequent this place so you'll hear songs from around the world. The Asian tourists will typically join the staff and sing their hearts out. A really, really interesting and fun place for dinner. I remember this being fairly cheap, 500Php a person. This is near Star City by Manila Bay.

2. The Library - A Filipino comedy club that serves Filipino cuisine in Malate area. As an American, you will likely become part of the show. You will be on the receiving end of some good natured ribbing by the stand up comedians so don't get upset with the laughter at your expense. A good fun night out with comedy and comedic music; the show ends up around 0400AM or later each morning.

3. Hobbitt House - A JRR Tolkien theme pub with decent bar food. The claim to fame here is that HH is staffed by Filipino little people/dwarfs (my apologies if I used the incorrect term). There is little employment opportunity for these folks so the HH is a great option. Also, 70's Rocker Freddie Aguilar shows up on a regular basis to augment the already great live music show.

4. Caffe Caruso - A really good Italian spot in Makati off the beaten path. It is a quiet, small establishment with a nice ambience that you won't often find in Makati. I always start with an appetizer for the table of wood fired pizza and follow that up with a tasty pasta.

5. Sugi - A great sushi place in Greenbelt, this is not off the beaten path but everyone that I bring here raves about the Kobe Sashimi and Yellowtail Sashimi. Very modern, very clean, very good!

6. Kamayan - I know the original Kamayan in Makati under the Skyway closed a few years ago but I keep hearing rumours that a full service Kamayan is re-opening. No, the buffet in the malls do not count. I loved the old Kamayan with Lechon, Spicy Crabs and roving bands who would sing Filipino Folk songs, American Love Songs and everything in between! If anyone spots a full service Kamayan around Manila; I'd be interested in reading a review of the place.

I'll post more places as I have time....

Ingat Ka

J_Hawk

Last edited by J_Hawk; Apr 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm Reason: Updated with a few more dining spots...